How to install graphviz-2.38 on windows 10

Viewed 66814

I know this is basic, but I'm pretty stuck. I've never installed python packages on Windows OS before... only Linux.

I downloaded the graphviz-2.38 zip and moved it to my Anaconda packages directory. I unzipped it, and then on the command line tried:

C:\Users\name\Anaconda3\pkgs\graphviz-2.38> pip install graphviz-2.38

This is the error I got:

Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement graphviz-2.38 (from 
versions: )
No matching distribution found for graphviz-2.38

I don't see any setup file within graphviz at all, so I'm a little lost.

8 Answers

For me just installing the graphviz library dint work. It was not able to open dot files. So I had to do the following:

  1. Download the stable Graphviz version by clicking Stable 2.38 Windows install packages from here
  2. Install Graphviz library using pip install graphviz
  3. Since you're using windows, check out the installed tool called GVEdit (just search in the start menu), it makes the whole process slightly easier.
  4. The dot files can be opened by selecting File --> Open

I got "GraphViz's Executables not found" when I tried the program "https://www.w3schools.com/python/showpython.asp?filename=demo_ml_dtree4"

I tried

  1. "pip install graphviz" or
  2. "conda install graphviz". Both of them didn't work for me.

I solve the problem for WIndows-10 as follows:

  1. Go to Graphviz web site: http://wingraphviz.sourceforge.net/wingraphviz/
  2. Setup environment variables, path="...;c:\Program Files (x86)\Graphviz2.38\bin;"
  3. Save the path
  4. From the command Prompt check the "Graphviz" path.
  5. Re-execute the program, the tree is visualized now.

For Conda users:

1. conda install graphviz

2. conda install python-graphviz

I tried

  1. pip install graphviz
  2. conda install graphviz

Both of them didn't work for me.

Adding to the path seem to be the solution. Since I don't have admins right. I can do this temporarily within a script:

import os
os.environ["PATH"] += os.pathsep r"C:\Users\Nameuser\Anaconda3\Library\bin\graphviz"
  • Go to this link: https://www.softpedia.com/get/Others/Miscellaneous/Graphviz.shtml
  • Click on Download.
  • After download being completed, go to your Program Files(x86) and click on Graphviz2.38 folder and click on the bin.
  • Copy the path of the bin, which looks like this 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Graphviz2.38\bin'
  • Then, go to i) Control Panel ii) Then, System iii) Then, click on Advanced System Settings iv) Environmental Variables v) Click on 'Path', go to edit, click on New and paste that copied path i.e. 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Graphviz2.38\bin'. vi) Click on OK
Related