Equivalence of static methods in Go

Viewed 15366

Let's say in Java, I have class CryptoFormat, which has a static method named getLegacyFormat(). When I want to use the method, I just need to call CryptoFormat.getLegacyFormat(). This is clear because I know where the method comes from.

In Go, there is no static method. I don't really want to just make a file called crypto_format.go and define the method there. The reason is that whenever I need the method, I just call GetLegacyFormat(), which doesn't contain the context where the method comes from.

I could think of two ways to solve the problem:

  1. Make a separate package named cryptoformat, and define the method as a global function in the package. This way, I need to make a new package for just few methods. Also, whenever I need static methods like this, I have to define new packages.
  2. Define a struct named cryptoFormat containing method GetLegacyFormat(). Also, define a global public variable named CryptoFormat, which points to an instance of struct cryptoFormat. This way, I can call CryptoFormat.GetLegacyFormat() when I need the method.

I am not sure which one is better, or whether there is better way.

2 Answers
Related