How to calculate multiple columns from multiple columns in pandas

Viewed 7037

I am trying to calculate multiple colums from multiple columns in a pandas dataframe using a function. The function takes three arguments -a-, -b-, and -c- and and returns three calculated values -sum-, -prod- and -quot-. In my pandas data frame I have three coumns -a-, -b- and and -c- from which I want to calculate the columns -sum-, -prod- and -quot-.

The mapping that I do works only when I have exactly three rows. I do not know what is going wrong, although I expect that it has to do something with selecting the correct axis. Could someone explain what is happening and how I can calculate the values that I would like to have. Below are the situations that I have tested.

INITIAL VALUES

def sum_prod_quot(a,b,c):
    sum  = a + b + c
    prod = a * b * c
    quot = a / b / c
    return (sum, prod, quot)

df = pd.DataFrame({ 'a': [20, 100, 18],
                    'b': [ 5,  10,  3],
                    'c': [ 2,  10,  6],
                    'd': [ 1,   2,  3]
                 })

df
    a   b   c  d
0   20   5   2  1
1  100  10  10  2
2   18   3   6  3

CALCULATION STEPS

Using exactly three rows

When I calculate three columns from this dataframe and using the function function I get:

df['sum'], df['prod'], df['quot'] = \
        list( map(sum_prod_quot, df['a'], df['b'], df['c']))

df
     a   b   c  d    sum     prod   quot
0   20   5   2  1   27.0    120.0   27.0
1  100  10  10  2  200.0  10000.0  324.0
2   18   3   6  3    2.0      1.0    1.0

This is exactly the result that I want to have: The sum-column has the sum of the elements in the columns a,b,c; the prod-column has the product of the elements in the columns a,b,c and the quot-column has the quotients of the elements in the columns a,b,c.

Using more than three rows

When I expand the dataframe with one row, I get an error!

The data frame is defined as:

df = pd.DataFrame({ 'a': [20, 100, 18, 40],
                    'b': [ 5,  10,  3, 10],
                    'c': [ 2,  10,  6,  4],
                    'd': [ 1,   2,  3,  4]
                 })
df
     a   b   c  d
0   20   5   2  1
1  100  10  10  2
2   18   3   6  3
3   40  10   4  4

The call is

df['sum'], df['prod'], df['quot'] = \
        list( map(sum_prod_quot, df['a'], df['b'], df['c']))

The result is

...
    list( map(sum_prod_quot, df['a'], df['b'], df['c']))
ValueError: too many values to unpack (expected 3) 

while I would expect an extra row:

df
     a   b   c  d    sum     prod   quot
0   20   5   2  1   27.0    120.0   27.0
1  100  10  10  2  200.0  10000.0  324.0
2   18   3   6  3    2.0      1.0    1.0
3   40  10   4  4   54.0   1600.0    1.0

Using less than three rows

When I reduce tthe dataframe with one row I get also an error. The dataframe is defined as:

df = pd.DataFrame({ 'a': [20, 100],
                    'b': [ 5,  10],
                    'c': [ 2,  10],
                    'd': [ 1,   2]
                 })
df
     a   b   c  d
0   20   5   2  1
1  100  10  10  2

The call is

df['sum'], df['prod'], df['quot'] = \
        list( map(sum_prod_quot, df['a'], df['b'], df['c']))

The result is

...
    list( map(sum_prod_quot, df['a'], df['b'], df['c']))
ValueError: need more than 2 values to unpack

while I would expect a row less:

df
     a   b   c  d    sum     prod   quot
0   20   5   2  1   27.0    120.0   27.0
1  100  10  10  2  200.0  10000.0  324.0

QUESTIONS

The questions I have:

1) Why do I get these errors?

2) How do I have to modify the call such that I get the desired data frame?

NOTE

In this link a similar question is asked, but the given answer did not work for me.

1 Answers
Related