Firebase Hosting with dynamic cloud functions rewrites

Viewed 15213

I have an express.js based cloud functions app on firebase in a function named api. To use a custom domain, I'm trying to use Firebase Hosting rewrites to route the specific URL to the function. I'm following the official documentation about cloud functions and Firebase hosting here, https://firebase.google.com/docs/hosting/functions, and have tried many combinations including the following:

"rewrites": [
      {
        "source": "/api/**",
        "function": "api"
      }
    ]

"rewrites": [
      {
        "source": "/api/:path1/:dat1/dat",
        "function": "api/:path1/:dat1/dat"
      }
    ]
"rewrites": [
      {
        "source": "/api/path1/dat1/dat",
        "function": "api"
      }
    ]
"rewrites": [
      {
        "source": "/api/*/*/*",
        "function": "api"
      }
    ]

Sadly, It doesn't seem to work for any possible combination. My express app has the following GET paths I plan on using:

'/api/users/:userId/:userData'
'/api/users/:userId/:userData/json'
'/api/users/:userId/'

and others similar to these. the :userId and :userData are the params in my request, as it works with express.js

The required functions work as expected in

https://my-firebase-app.cloudfunctions.net

but they do not work with

https://my-app.firebaseapp.com

Please tell me how these are supposed to work and what I'm doing wrong.

EDIT: Here is a sample of what my cloud functions export looks like

const functions = require('firebase-functions');
const express = require('express');
const app = express();

app.get('/users/:userId/:userData/json', (req, res) => {
    // Do App stuff here
}
// A couple more app.get in the same format

exports.api = functions.https.onRequest(app);

EDIT 2: After @DougStevenson's suggestion, I tried the following configuration

I tried the following in my firebase.json ,

{
  "hosting": {
    "rewrites": [
      {
        "source": "/api",
        "function": "api"
      }
    ],
    "public": "public"
  }
}

But I got the same problem, the function is never called. I read about how the rewrites are last resort options and if there are files present in the hosting, it will not go to the specified function.(I tried looking for the SO post where this ws mentioned but I can't find it) So I removed the 404.html and index.html files from hosting's public directory, since I don't need them anyway. But the problem still remained.

EDIT 2: Okay, so after a lot of trial and error, I just had to hard code the paths in the following format:

rewrites : [
      {
        "source": "/users/**/**/json",
        "function": "api"
      },
      {
        "source": "/api/users/**/**/json",
        "function": "api"
      }
]

After this, the express app is configured something like this:

app.get('/users/:userId/:userData/json', Foo)

I still would prefer if someone could suggest a better way to accomplish this rather than manually putting in each required Uri in the hosting rewrites.

5 Answers

Another option, if you want both cloudFunction and hosted URLS to work is to check if the URL is coming from the hosted URL.

You'd use this function at any time you wanted the params.

export const splitParams = (req: any): string[] => {
  let params = req.params[0];
  const vals: string[] = [];

  // If params starts with a '/' remove it
  params = params.startsWith('/')
    ? params.substr(1, params.length - 1)
    : params;
  params = params.split('/');

  // For hosted URLs the parameters need to be shifted
  if (
    req.headers['x-forwarded-host'] === 'myURL' 
  ) {
    params.shift();
  }

  for (const param of params) {
    if (param !== '') {
      vals.push(param);
    }
  }

  return vals;
};

Passing data directly to cloud function using Query params just works, with no custom express middleware.

Here is how the url would look like:

http://localhost:5000/api/?userId=yop&chart=blue

The cloud function:

export const api = functions.https.onRequest(async (req: any, res: any) => {

 const userId = req.query.userId
 const chartId = req.query.chart 

})

Rewrites remain at a minimum, because the url is still '/api' with Query params

"rewrites": [ {
  "source": "/api",
  "function": "api"
}

This works for me.

In firebase.json file:

"rewrites": [{
  "source": "/api/**",
  "function": "/"
}]

Make sure your functions are hosted in the us-central1 region

Related