Is this the right way to get string resources from within a Fragment?

Viewed 2386

Which method is generally better / safer for reading string resources while in a Fragment?

Here I read getResources().getString() directly:

public class SomeFragment extends Fragment {

    public static SomeFragment newInstance() {
        Bundle args = new Bundle();
        SomeFragment fragment = new SomeFragment();
        fragment.setArguments(args);
        return fragment;
    }

    @Override
    public void onCreate(@Nullable Bundle savedInstanceState) {
        super.onCreate(savedInstanceState);
        String someString = getResources().getString(R.string.my_string_id);
    }

}

Or is it better to do it this way, by setting a Context field first and then reading the resources from that:

public class SomeFragment extends Fragment {
    private Context context;

    public static SomeFragment newInstance() {
        Bundle args = new Bundle();
        SomeFragment fragment = new SomeFragment();
        fragment.setArguments(args);
        return fragment;
    }

    @Override
    public void onAttach(Context context) {
        super.onAttach(context);
        this.context = context;
    }

    @Override
    public void onCreate(@Nullable Bundle savedInstanceState) {
        super.onCreate(savedInstanceState);
        String someString = context.getResources().getString(R.string.my_string_id);
    }

}

Any tradeoffs/drawbacks to either of these methods?

The reason I ask is because sometimes I've run into nullpointer issues with the first approach that were resolved by using the second approach; so I wasn't sure if it was problematic to use the first one.

3 Answers
Related