How to keep output window always open in Visual Studio 2017

Viewed 17207

I am developing C# Windows Forms App, and need to output some debug message using Debug.Print(). However, the output window is always being minimised on each new debug session. How do I keep it dock'ed to the window so I don't have to click it every single time?

Also, how can I reset the window layout in coding and debugging mode separately? Especially the debugging mode, it seems not saving the layout...

I found similar questions about opening the output window during building, but couldn't find any reference on debugging.

---- update

Thanks for the contributions. Although it was not the solution. I tried to reset the layout again and a few times and it now works fine. It was weird that it wasn't working.

Since no one submitted the solution and I am still expecting if anyone knows the cause and solution, I am leaving this question open without accepting any of the answers.

Thanks again.

2017.08.03.

3 Answers

Have you checked the "Output" tool window setting under Help -> "Manage Visual Studio Performance"?

This value was set to "Auto hide window at startup" on my machine, causing the output window (and all other windows docked in the same region) to be collapsed every time I started visual studio. Maybe this is actually your problem?

Set it to "Use default behaviour" to tell visual studio to leave it alone.

Related