Visual Studio target Deploy does not exist

Viewed 4278

I'm getting this error when running a built project in Visual Studio 2017:

------ Deploy started: Project: myProj, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------  

C:\...\myProj.vcxproj : error MSB4057: The target "Deploy" does not exist in the project.
Done building project "myProj.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
========== Deploy: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========

I found something online saying uncheck Deploy from Build, Configuration Manager... but it is already unchecked.

If I try to run it again, it will load and run. But I'd like to be able to release code that works the first time. What else might I try? TIA.

3 Answers

Solved the problem by opening the .sln file of the problematic solution with a text editor. I've found there the following lines for different configurations:

{GUID}.Release|x86.Deploy.0 = Release|Win32

After deleting all these lines for different configurations, I didn't get the error anymore.

This worked for me :

  1. GOTO "Project Property Page"
  2. click "Project Dependencies"
  3. Select your main project in "Project:"
  4. Add the dependency on the project that gives you the deploy error.
  5. Save ALL
  6. Recompile
Related