I'm experimenting with microservices, event sourcing and CQRS. However, I'm a little bit confused about how I go from issuing a command to performing a query to return the new state, specifically with regard to interactions with a web API gateway.
As an example, the simple application I am attempting to write (which probably doesn't actually need any of these; it is just something to aid my learning) creates a random-graph and then performs some long-running calculations on the graph. I've modelled this as two separate services: the GraphService and the ComputationService. The imagined process flow is as follows:
- User requests new random graph.
- API gateway constructs
CreateGraphcommand and sends it to thegraph service. GraphService command handlercreates a graph and publishes aGraphCreatedevent.GraphService event handlersubscribes to topic for graph events, processesGraphCreatedevent and stores graph in persistent read storage.- Client somehow gets the newly created graph.
ComputationService event handlersubscribes to topic for graph events, processesGraphCreatedevent and begins potentially long-running computation, e.g. calculate diameter.ComputationServicepublishesDiameterComputedevent.GraphServiceevent handler subscribes to topic for computation events, processedDiameterComputedevent and updates the graph in persistent read storage.- Client somehow gets updated - easier than getting the new graph, since already have an ID and can poll for changes / websockets / SSE, etc.
That seems relatively simple. However, my confusion lies in how to go about informing the API gateway, and thus the web client, of the new graph (as highlighted in bold above). In a typical CRUD process, the result of the POST request to create a new graph would be to return the URL of the new resource, for instance. However, with CQRS, commands should return nothing or an exception.
How do I pass information back to the client of the service (in this case the API gateway) about the ID of the new graph so that it can perform a query to get the representation of the new resource and send it to the user? Or at least get an ID so that the web client can ask the API gateway, etc?
As I see it at the moment, after sending a command, everyone is just left hanging. There needs to be some sort of subscription model that can be interrogated for the status of the graph creation. I considered having the API gateway generate a request ID which gets embedded with the CreateGraph command, but this then couples the service to the API.
I'm obviously missing something, but have no idea what. None of the examples I've looked at or discussions I've read address this issue and assume that the ID of whatever resource is already known. I couldn't find any discussions here addressing this issue, but if I've just missed them, please point me there rather than duplicating questions. Any pointers would be hugely welcomed.