In Java (or clojure) I would like to spin up an external process and consume its stdout as a stream. Ideally, I would like to consume the process' output stream every time that the external process flushes it, but am not sure how that can be accomplished, and how it can be accomplished without blocking.
Going around consuming a Java ProcessPipeInputStream for a shelled out process (for example a Unix ProcessPipeInputStream), I find the inherited InputStream methods a bit low-level to work with, and am not sure if there's a non-blocking way to consume from the stream every time the producer-side flushes or otherwise in a non-blocking fashion.
Many code examples block on the output stream in an infinite loop, thereby hogging a thread for the listening. My hope is this blocking behavior can be avoided altogether.
Bottom line:
Is there a non-blocking way to be notified on an input stream, every time that the producing side of it flushes?