Run PostgreSQL UPDATE query for every object in array

Viewed 1698

Let's say I have a cart of grocery items and each item has a unique ID. When someone clicks "purchase", an array is sent with an object for each item in that cart. The cart varies so sometimes it might be 2 items and sometimes 6 items, etc.

Example:

[{id: 1, amt_purchased: 3}, {id: 2, amt_purchased: 4}]

I need my SQL table, "grocery items available", to update according to what was purchased.

For one grocery item, I would use the following:

UPDATE available 
SET amt_avail = amt_avail - 3
WHERE produce_id = 1

Since I have multiple items now, how can I get the query to run for each item that was purchased? Or as one massive query that will adapt according to how many items were purchased?

My project is Ionic/AngularJs and NodeJs, Express, MassiveJs.

Thanks guys! Still a noob so I'm having a hard time explaining what I need.

3 Answers
Related