Byte-buddy: generate classes with cyclic types

Viewed 796

I'm trying to generate classes with a cyclic class dependency, similar to this question: Byte Buddy - Handling cyclic references in generated classes

As a minimal example, the kind of classes I want to generate have dependencies like this:

//class A depends on class B, and vice-versa
final class A { B theB; }
final class B { A theA; }

The accepted answer in the link above did not provide enough information for me to get this to work. This is what I tried:

import net.bytebuddy.ByteBuddy;
import net.bytebuddy.description.type.TypeDescription;
import net.bytebuddy.dynamic.DynamicType;
import net.bytebuddy.dynamic.loading.ClassLoadingStrategy;
import net.bytebuddy.jar.asm.Opcodes;

public class ByteBuddyHello {

    public static void main(String[] args) {
        try {
            final ByteBuddy bb = new ByteBuddy();
            final TypeDescription.Latent typeDescrA = new TypeDescription.Latent("A", 0, null, null);
            final TypeDescription.Latent typeDescrB = new TypeDescription.Latent("B", 0, null, null);
            final DynamicType.Unloaded<Object> madeA = bb
                    .subclass(Object.class)
                    .name("A")
                    .defineField("theB", typeDescrB, Opcodes.ACC_PUBLIC)
                    .make(); // exception thrown here!
            final DynamicType.Unloaded<Object> madeB = bb.subclass(Object.class)
                    .name("B")
                    .defineField("theA", typeDescrA, Opcodes.ACC_PUBLIC)
                    .make();

            Object a = madeA
                    .include(madeB)
                    .load(ByteBuddyHello.class.getClassLoader(), ClassLoadingStrategy.Default.WRAPPER)
                    .getLoaded().newInstance();
            System.out.println(a.toString());
        } catch (InstantiationException e) {
            e.printStackTrace();
        } catch (IllegalAccessException e) {
            e.printStackTrace();
        }
    }
}

When I run this, I get Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalStateException: Cannot resolve declared type of a latent type description: class B in the marked line.

The answer to the referenced question above says to "Make sure that you do not load a type before defining the latent type properly", and I'm guessing that this might be my issue. I don't know how to define a latent type though :-(

Edit: made classes A and B above final (as this would be the ideal solution)

Edit: Add stack trace

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalStateException: Cannot resolve declared type of a latent type description: class B
    at net.bytebuddy.description.type.TypeDescription$Latent.getDeclaringType(TypeDescription.java:7613)
    at net.bytebuddy.description.type.TypeDescription$AbstractBase.getSegmentCount(TypeDescription.java:6833)
    at net.bytebuddy.implementation.attribute.AnnotationAppender$ForTypeAnnotations.onNonGenericType(AnnotationAppender.java:617)
    at net.bytebuddy.implementation.attribute.AnnotationAppender$ForTypeAnnotations.onNonGenericType(AnnotationAppender.java:333)
    at net.bytebuddy.description.type.TypeDescription$Generic$OfNonGenericType.accept(TypeDescription.java:3364)
    at net.bytebuddy.implementation.attribute.FieldAttributeAppender$ForInstrumentedField.apply(FieldAttributeAppender.java:122)
    at net.bytebuddy.dynamic.scaffold.TypeWriter$FieldPool$Record$ForExplicitField.apply(TypeWriter.java:270)
    at net.bytebuddy.dynamic.scaffold.TypeWriter$Default$ForCreation.create(TypeWriter.java:4156)
    at net.bytebuddy.dynamic.scaffold.TypeWriter$Default.make(TypeWriter.java:1633)
    at net.bytebuddy.dynamic.scaffold.subclass.SubclassDynamicTypeBuilder.make(SubclassDynamicTypeBuilder.java:174)
    at net.bytebuddy.dynamic.scaffold.subclass.SubclassDynamicTypeBuilder.make(SubclassDynamicTypeBuilder.java:155)
    at net.bytebuddy.dynamic.DynamicType$Builder$AbstractBase.make(DynamicType.java:2559)
    at net.bytebuddy.dynamic.DynamicType$Builder$AbstractBase$Delegator.make(DynamicType.java:2661)
    at my.package.playground.ByteBuddyHello.main(ByteBuddyHello.java:20)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:483)
    at com.intellij.rt.execution.application.AppMain.main(AppMain.java:147)
2 Answers
Related