Can't locate xdebug.so on linux

Viewed 27278

I'm having some problems getting xdebug running on ElementaryOS (Ubuntu 16.04.2) with php7, and Apache2.

I installed it with sudo apt-get install php-xdebug. The install didn't report any errors. I've added

xdebug.remote_enable=1
xdebug.remote_host=127.0.0.1
xdebug.remote_connect_back=1 ; Not safe for production servers
xdebug.remote_port=9000
xdebug.remote_handler=dbgp
xdebug.remote_mode=req
xdebug.remote_autostart=true

to /etc/php/7.0/apache2/php.ini.

I also need to add the xdebug.so file location like, zend_extension="/path/to/xdebug.so". However, I have been unable to find xdebug.so after the install.

Does anyone know where xdebug.so is, or has the instructions changed since php7.0 was released. Most of the instructions/help seem to be for php5 online.

Thanks.

3 Answers

For the new versions just add xdebug file name, example:

zend_extension=xdebug.so

xdebug.default_enable = 1
xdebug.remote_enable=1
xdebug.remote_handler=dbgp
xdebug.remote_port=9000
...

If it does not work use Linux find command like the following:

find / -name "xdebug.so"

What does this command do?

  • Find = just find
  • / = in all of directories inside / (all)
  • -name "xdebug.so" = with name equal to xdebug.so

Create a file with phpinfo(). Find the item extension_dir. There you'll see where the xdebug.so resides. Mine is:

/usr/local/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20170718
Related