SSIS error: delimiter for column "columnX" is not found

Viewed 32789

This question was asked here before but the solutions proposed don't seem to be working for me.

I'm trying to import a text file pipe delimited text qualifier ". The SSIS package is returning the error message

delimiter for column "columnX" is not found

where column X is the last field in the file.

In the connection manager advanced tab, I have set up the column delimiter for columnX to {LF} while all the other fields are set to vertical |.

I have verified the file and there are no missing fields. There are some null values but all the fields are there.

I can't point out what is causing this. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

7 Answers

I realize that this thread is old, but I was looking for a solution to this exact problem and did not find it. Deleting the flat file connection manager is extreme when I had so many columns that I adjusted the DataTypes for.

In my scenario with this error, it was the last column and the delimiter had switched from {CR}{LF} to {LF}. I switched it back to {CR}{LF} and it worked.

Also, under general, the Header row delimiter had also changed to {LF} and I changed it to {CR}{LF} too.

Try to increase ColummnWidth in the Advanced tab on the Flat file Connection Manager Editor.

Pic with example

It worked for me.

This has happened to me on several occasions. Each time it has been caused by someone adding a column to the csv file. The error happens when it gets to the end of the last column and expects a carriage return line feed cr/lf, but finds only the carriage return because there is an added column.

Ran into this on some CSVs I had exported from Oracle SQL Developer and needed to import into SQL Server.

After many failed attempts to import my problematic CSV, I discovered a quirk - For some un-god-known reason, the header row terminated with CRLF while the data rows terminated with LF. Doing a mass replace of carriage returns in Notepad++ before importing allowed me to proceed. SSIS seems to have difficulty importing flat files with mixed line endings.

One other callout in case it helps some other poor soul - if you're importing a max length varchar column, you may need to change the data type to Text Stream in order for SSIS/Import Wizard to process it.

Related