Running a DX11 compute shader with SharpDX - cannot get results

Viewed 1112

I am trying to run a compute shader and get the resulting texture using SharpDX.

From what I understood, I need to: 1. Create a texture to set as an output to the shader. 2. Set the above texture as an unordered access view so I can write to it. 3. Run the shader 4. Copy the UAV texture to a staging texture so it can be accessed by the CPU 5. Read the staging texture to a Bitmap

The problem is that whatever I do, the result is a black bitmap. I don't think the bug is in the Texture2D -> Bitmap conversion code as printing the first pixel directly from the staging texture also gives me 0.

This is my shader code:

RWTexture2D<float4> Output : register(u0);

[numthreads(32, 32, 1)]
void main(uint3 id : SV_DispatchThreadID) {
    Output[id.xy] = float4(0, 1.0, 0, 1.0);
}

Using the MS DX11 docs and blogs, I pieced together this code to run the texture:

public class GPUScreenColor {
    private int adapterIndex = 0;

    private Adapter1 gpu;
    private Device device;
    private ComputeShader computeShader;

    private Texture2D texture;
    private Texture2D stagingTexture;
    private UnorderedAccessView view;

    public GPUScreenColor() {
        initializeDirectX();
    }

    private void initializeDirectX() {
        using (var factory = new Factory1()) {
            gpu = factory.GetAdapter1(adapterIndex);
        }

        device = new Device(gpu, DeviceCreationFlags.Debug, FeatureLevel.Level_11_1);

        var compilationResult = ShaderBytecode.CompileFromFile("test.hlsl", "main", "cs_5_0", ShaderFlags.Debug);
        computeShader = new ComputeShader(device, compilationResult.Bytecode);

        texture = new Texture2D(device, new Texture2DDescription() {
            BindFlags = BindFlags.UnorderedAccess | BindFlags.ShaderResource,
            Format = Format.R8G8B8A8_UNorm,
            Width = 1024,
            Height = 1024,
            OptionFlags = ResourceOptionFlags.None,
            MipLevels = 1,
            ArraySize = 1,
            SampleDescription = { Count = 1, Quality = 0 }
        });

        UnorderedAccessView view = new UnorderedAccessView(device, texture, new UnorderedAccessViewDescription() {
            Format = Format.R8G8B8A8_UNorm,
            Dimension = UnorderedAccessViewDimension.Texture2D,
            Texture2D = { MipSlice = 0 }
        });

        stagingTexture = new Texture2D(device, new Texture2DDescription {
            CpuAccessFlags = CpuAccessFlags.Read,
            BindFlags = BindFlags.None,
            Format = Format.R8G8B8A8_UNorm,
            Width = 1024,
            Height = 1024,
            OptionFlags = ResourceOptionFlags.None,
            MipLevels = 1,
            ArraySize = 1,
            SampleDescription = { Count = 1, Quality = 0 },
            Usage = ResourceUsage.Staging
        });
    }

    public Bitmap getBitmap() {
        device.ImmediateContext.ComputeShader.Set(computeShader);
        device.ImmediateContext.ComputeShader.SetUnorderedAccessView(0, view);

        device.ImmediateContext.Dispatch(32, 32, 1);
        device.ImmediateContext.CopyResource(texture, stagingTexture);
        var mapSource = device.ImmediateContext.MapSubresource(stagingTexture, 0, MapMode.Read, MapFlags.None);

        Console.WriteLine(Marshal.ReadInt32(IntPtr.Add(mapSource.DataPointer, 0)));

        try {
            // Copy pixels from screen capture Texture to GDI bitmap
            Bitmap bitmap = new Bitmap(1024, 1024, System.Drawing.Imaging.PixelFormat.Format32bppRgb);
            BitmapData mapDest = bitmap.LockBits(new Rectangle(0, 0, 1024, 1024), ImageLockMode.ReadWrite, bitmap.PixelFormat);

            try {
                var sourcePtr = mapSource.DataPointer;
                var destPtr = mapDest.Scan0;
                for (int y = 0; y < 1024; y++) {
                    // Copy a single line
                    Utilities.CopyMemory(destPtr, sourcePtr, 1024 * 4);

                    // Advance pointers
                    sourcePtr = IntPtr.Add(sourcePtr, mapSource.RowPitch);
                    destPtr = IntPtr.Add(destPtr, mapDest.Stride);
                }

                return bitmap;
            } finally {
                bitmap.UnlockBits(mapDest);
            }
        } finally {
            device.ImmediateContext.UnmapSubresource(stagingTexture, 0);
        }
    }
}

I am pretty new to shaders so it may be something obvious...

1 Answers
Related