Low and high dimensional data

Viewed 5346

I'm new to machine learning and while I was learning about SVM I found the term :"Low and high dimensional data" so can anyone explain to me what are they and what's the difference ?

3 Answers

As defined in The Elements of Statistical Learning (chapter 18, page 649 - or page 668 of the 2nd edition's pdf linked here), high-dimensional problems are problems where

the number of features p is much larger than the number of observations N, often written p>>N

So high dimensional data isn't actually about a large number of features (as the accepted answer suggests), it is defined by the features/samples ratio. Note that this definition holds for the machine learning community, but may not relate to the same idea in other fields.

As this quora answer suggests, developping models with high-dimensional data is often synonymous with introducing strong assumptions when it comes to producing deterministic answers.

High/low dimensionality is associated with ratio between observations and features in data set. In case, the number of observations is significantly lower than the number of features it is considered high dimensional data set.

Related