Controlling VS code with a launchpad

Viewed 441

I really enjoy using vs code but there are some many shortcuts to remember and every new plugins come with a new set. Of course, I can use the command palette in order to quickly execute a command, but I would like something even more faster such as assigning a shortcut to any of the keys for a device like a Novation Launchpad midi controller. Stackoverflow is maybe not the best plase to ask this question but I didn't knew where to post it, so is there anyone who tried something like this? I have seen this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOyNUGS4RC8) linking such a device with visual studio so perhaps someone created a software dedicated for vs code already.

Regards, Johnny -

1 Answers

I've setup this with MIDI Loupe and midiStroke.

MIDI Loupe listens your device and logs channel/key/value you just hit on your midi controller - with this tool you inspect your device's output.

Then in midiStroke you map controls to shortcuts.

Note: I've found my midiStroke setup for M-Audio Axiom 49 keys don't require values (only key number) but controls (e.g. record start) do require it. Also for me letter keys didn't not work if uppercased (e.g. for garageband recording start I need simply R button hit and R should be r in this case)

Detailed tutorial here

Related