Generating a seamless, tileable 3D noise

Viewed 1714

I need to generate a seamless, tileable 3D noise that looks like a detailed perlin noise. Multiple forums say "for tileable 3D you need 6D noise" without explaining how.

What I've found so far is the lib 'Accidential Noise', which provides simplex noise up to 6th dimension like I'd need it, but nowhere is explained how to generate a 3D seamless noise out of it. https://github.com/JTippetts/accidental-noise-library

It's going to be implemented in C#, but there is no problem with me in translating from other languages.

Hope someone is able to help, thanks in advance!

Dom

2 Answers

One method to solve this problem is for you to map your tile coordinates onto a torus. Then take the torus coordinates as argument for the 3d noise function. A torus is tilable because the top of a tile would connect to the bottom and the left would connect to the right.

Related