The application is in break mode. your app has entered a break state,

Viewed 19457

I found myself in this same problem than here, I'm using windows forms in a dll (this is for an Autocad plug-in) and I cannot debug my code because I receive "The application is in break mode. your app has entered a break state, but no code is currently executing that is supported by the selected debug engine". I have tried every recommendation in this list and none worked for me. One odd thing was that I can break in the constructor but the events that use a controller/config object get that page.

Any ideas why this may be happening?

thanks in advance

6 Answers

In my case, I was receiving this same message when calling an MVC API endpoint, and it was also throwing a stack overflow exception. The cause was an object property in an external dll which was written with a backing field. The set accessor of the property was accidentally written to set the property and not the backing field which caused an infinite loop, hence the stack overflow exception. Note the missing underscore in the setter.

private string _Prefix;
public string Prefix
{
   get { return _Prefix; }
   set { Prefix = value; }
}

Though your issue may not be exactly as mine, something similar is occurring in an external dll.

I have this problem on my Visual Studio 2017 15.8.6. Maybe my code setting is "Allow unsafe code", but it has the same error code. The solution is click Tool > Options > Debugging > General > Use Managed Compatibility Mode and activate it. I found the solution from this forum.

enter image description here

For me, the solution was to install the Oracle.ManagedDataAccess.Core NuGet package only. I had Oracle.ManagedDataAccess installed as well and I needed to uninstall them to fix the Break mode error.

I also had the same issue. After doing some analysis found out that some of the dependent projects were not built properly. Rebuilding all the dependent projects worked for me.

Related