How to sum large numbers?

Viewed 5086

I am trying to calculate 1 + 1 * 2 + 1 * 2 * 3 + 1 * 2 * 3 * 4 + ... + 1 * 2 * ... * n where n is the user input. It works for values of n up to 12. I want to calculate the sum for n = 13, n = 14 and n = 15. How do I do that in C89? As I know, I can use unsigned long long int only in C99 or C11.

  1. Input 13, result 2455009817, expected 6749977113
  2. Input 14, result 3733955097, expected 93928268313
  3. Input 15, result 1443297817, expected 1401602636313

My code:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
int main()
{
    unsigned long int n;
    unsigned long int P = 1;
    int i;
    unsigned long int sum = 0;
    scanf("%lu", &n);
    for(i = 1; i <= n; i++)
    {
        P *= i;
        sum += P;
    }
    printf("%lu", sum);
    return 0;
}
3 Answers
Related