SQL Server 2016 - Is it possible to concatenate two nvarchar always encrypted columns?

Viewed 1073

I have created a table using:

create table dbo.employee(firstname nvarchar(100) null,lastname nvarchar(100) null)

Inserted some sample data using:

insert into dbo.employee values('Sachin','Tendulkar')
insert into dbo.employee values('Rohit','Sharma')
insert into dbo.employee values('Virendra','Sehwag')
insert into dbo.employee values('Irfan','Pathan')

Then I used always encrypted wizard to encrypt both columns of this table using SSMS v17. And now I am trying to concatenate firstname with lastname like this:

select concat(firstname, lastname) from dbo.employee

And it is giving me below error:

Operand type clash: nvarchar(100) encrypted with (encryption_type = 'DETERMINISTIC', encryption_algorithm_name = 'AEAD_AES_256_CBC_HMAC_SHA_256', column_encryption_key_name = 'SampleDB_CEK', column_encryption_key_database_name = 'SampleDB') is incompatible with varchar

When I try this:

select firstname + lastname from dbo.employee

It gives following error:

Encryption scheme mismatch for columns/variables 'firstname', 'lastname'. The encryption scheme for the columns/variables is (encryption_type = 'DETERMINISTIC', encryption_algorithm_name = 'AEAD_AES_256_CBC_HMAC_SHA_256', column_encryption_key_name = 'SampleDB_CEK', column_encryption_key_database_name = 'SampleDB') and the expression near line '1' expects it to be (encryption_type = 'PLAINTEXT') (or weaker).

Any help appreciated.

1 Answers
Related