Binary Search using start < end vs. using start <= end

Viewed 2986

In binary search, we usually have low and high variables and typically there is a while loop that tests if low <= high, as shown in this code (from Wikipedia):

int SortedArray[max] = {....}

int BinarySearch (int key)
{
    int start = 0;
    int end = max - 1;
    int mid;
    while (start <= end)
    {
        mid = (start + end) / 2;
        if (key == a[mid])
            return mid;
        else if (key < a[mid])
            end = mid - 1;
        else start = mid + 1;
    }
    return -1;
}

When learning binary search, I was always taught the start <= end approach, but when seeing other implementations, I've seen a lot of people do while(start < end).

Is there an advantage to one versus the other? In my own native implementations, I do the <= approach but when I switch it out for <, the search fails.

Is there a rule of thumb for using one versus the other?

2 Answers
Related