Scrapy on a schedule

Viewed 12781

Getting Scrapy to run on a schedule is driving me around the Twist(ed).

I thought the below test code would work, but I get a twisted.internet.error.ReactorNotRestartable error when the spider is triggered a second time:

from quotesbot.spiders.quotes import QuotesSpider
import schedule
import time
from scrapy.crawler import CrawlerProcess

def run_spider_script():
    process.crawl(QuotesSpider)
    process.start()


process = CrawlerProcess({
    'USER_AGENT': 'Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1)',
})


schedule.every(5).seconds.do(run_spider_script)

while True:
    schedule.run_pending()
    time.sleep(1)

I'm going to guess that as part of the CrawlerProcess, the Twisted Reactor is called to start again, when that's not required and so the program crashes. Is there any way I can control this?

Also at this stage if there's an alternative way to automate a Scrapy spider to run on a schedule, I'm all ears. I tried scrapy.cmdline.execute , but couldn't get that to loop either:

from quotesbot.spiders.quotes import QuotesSpider
from scrapy import cmdline
import schedule
import time
from scrapy.crawler import CrawlerProcess


def run_spider_cmd():
    print("Running spider")
    cmdline.execute("scrapy crawl quotes".split())


process = CrawlerProcess({
    'USER_AGENT': 'Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1)',
})


schedule.every(5).seconds.do(run_spider_cmd)

while True:
    schedule.run_pending()
    time.sleep(1)

EDIT

Adding code, which uses Twisted task.LoopingCall() to run a test spider every few seconds. Am I going about this completely the wrong way to schedule a spider that runs at the same time each day?

from twisted.internet import reactor
from twisted.internet import task
from scrapy.crawler import CrawlerRunner
import scrapy

class QuotesSpider(scrapy.Spider):
    name = 'quotes'
    allowed_domains = ['quotes.toscrape.com']
    start_urls = ['http://quotes.toscrape.com/']

    def parse(self, response):

        quotes = response.xpath('//div[@class="quote"]')

        for quote in quotes:

            author = quote.xpath('.//small[@class="author"]/text()').extract_first()
            text = quote.xpath('.//span[@class="text"]/text()').extract_first()

            print(author, text)


def run_crawl():

    runner = CrawlerRunner()
    runner.crawl(QuotesSpider)


l = task.LoopingCall(run_crawl)
l.start(3)

reactor.run()
2 Answers

You can use apscheduler

pip install apscheduler
# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
from scrapy.crawler import CrawlerProcess
from scrapy.utils.project import get_project_settings
from apscheduler.schedulers.twisted import TwistedScheduler

from Demo.spiders.baidu import YourSpider

process = CrawlerProcess(get_project_settings())
scheduler = TwistedScheduler()
scheduler.add_job(process.crawl, 'interval', args=[YourSpider], seconds=10)
scheduler.start()
process.start(False)
Related