save a list of different Dataframes to json

Viewed 5370

I have different pandas dataframes, which I put in a list. I want to save this list in json (or any other format) which can be read by R.

import pandas as pd

def create_df_predictions(extra_periods):
    """
    make a empty df for predictions  
    params: extra_periods = how many prediction in the future the user wants
    """
    df = pd.DataFrame({ 'model': ['a'], 'name_id': ['a'] })
    for col in range(1, extra_periods+1):
        name_col = 'forecast' + str(col)
        df[name_col] = 0

    return df

df1 = create_df_predictions(9) 
df2 = create_df_predictions(12)
list_df = [df1, df2]

The question is how to save list_df in a readable format for R? Note that df1 and df2 are have a different amount of columns!

2 Answers

To export the list of DataFrames to a single json file, you should convert the list into a DataFrame and then use the to_json() function as shown below:

df_to_export = pd.DataFrame(list_df)
json_output = df_to_export.to_json()
with open("output.txt", 'w') as outfile:
    outfile.write(json_output)

This will export the full dataset to a single json string and export it to a file.

Related