LinkedIn "share" API not properly using the supplied "content.description"

Viewed 197

I'm successfully able to POST a new LinkedIn "share" of an image (not an actual article/page) with a comment via the API by making an OAuth-authenticated call like this:

URI: POST https://api.linkedin.com/v1/people/~/shares?format=json
Data:
{ "comment": "Some comment.", "content": { "title": "Some title.", "description": "My description.", "submitted-url": "https://cdn.website.com/images/image.png", "submitted-image-url": "https://cdn.website.com/images/image.png" }, "visibility": { "code": "connections-only" } }

However, when I view the resulting Share on linkedin.com the description near the image will not show my supplied "My description." and instead will show the host of the supplied image, i.e. cdn.website.com in this example. This is ugly and not desirable. It seems like they try to crawl the image as if it were a page, and are defaulting to the host instead of using my supplied description of "My description.".

Is this a bug? Am I doing something wrong? Any help would be appreciated!

1 Answers

You may choose only one of the following:

  • Show image in LinkedIn share preview.
  • Show description in LinkedIn share preview.

Proof: Two weeks fighting LinkedIn Support (Oh the humanity...). But also look at share previews for sites that follow both of these rules: Wikipedia (has no image, has 1 description) and GitHub (has 1 image, has 1 description).

Wikipedia: Description ONLY -- Works (but no image)!
GitHub: Image ONLY -- Works (but no description)!

I made a test site, with only description, and it behaves according to the rule above-listed. I'm well aware that the Official Microsoft LinkedIn Share Documentation makes no mention whatsoever of this, but all direct experience seems to disagree.

Related