update datagridview very frequently

Viewed 3486

I'm having trouble refreshing my DataGridView in a reasonable time in C# (which I am new to btw, I'm used to java...).

I'm getting data over a network with 20 packages sent per second. I'd like to parse the data and put it in a DataGridView. I would also like to adjust the interval in which the DataGridView is updated, from 0.1 seconds to 1 minute.

So I created an extra thread, which reads the packages and parses them to an Array. I also have a Timer, which I use to change the Interval. On every timer tick, I reassign the DataSource to the DataGridView.

Interestingly, when I do, even if I set the timer to 0.1 seconds, it is only triggered about once a second. If I do not refresh the DataGridView, it gets triggered 10 times a second, as it is supposed to.

So I am assuming that my method of updating the DataGridView is too time consuming. But what do I have to do to make it more efficient, so I can update it 10 times a second without any problems?

Here is the code I use:

public MyForm()
    {
        InitializeComponent();

        timer = new System.Windows.Forms.Timer();
        timer.Interval = (1 * 1000); // 1 secs
        timer.Tick += new EventHandler(timer_Tick);
        timer.Start();

        readNetworkValues = true;
        networkReader = new Thread(() =>
        {
            Thread.CurrentThread.IsBackground = true;
            byte[] data = new byte[1024];
            IPEndPoint ipep = new IPEndPoint(IPAddress.Any, 49003);
            UdpClient newsock = new UdpClient(ipep);
            IPEndPoint sender = new IPEndPoint(IPAddress.Any, 0);

            while (readNetworkValues)
            {
                data = newsock.Receive(ref sender);
                dataSet = parseData(data); //Decrypts the data
            }
        newsock.Close();
        });
        networkReader.Start();
    }

    private void timer_Tick(object sender, EventArgs e)
    {
        if (dataSet != null)
        {
            lock (dataSet)
            {
                int currentRow = dataGrid.FirstDisplayedScrollingRowIndex;
                dataGrid.DataSource = dataSet;
                dataGrid.FirstDisplayedScrollingRowIndex = currentRow;
            }
        }
    }
1 Answers
Related