Floating Point Program gives Invalid Result

Viewed 1375

RECENT EDIT

I am trying to run this floating point Quadratic Equation program on x86 MASM. This code is found in the Kip Irvine x86 textbook and I want to see how it works visually. The following code is below:

include irvine32.inc 
.DATA
a REAL4 3.0
b REAL4 7.0
cc REAL4 2.0
posx REAL4 0.0
negx REAL4 0.0

.CODE


main proc 
; Solve quadratic equation - no error checking
; The formula is: -b +/- squareroot(b2 - 4ac) / (2a)
fld1 ; Get constants 2 and 4
fadd st,st ; 2 at bottom
fld st ; Copy it
fmul a ; = 2a

fmul st(1),st ; = 4a
fxch ; Exchange
fmul cc ; = 4ac

fld b ; Load b
fmul st,st ; = b2
fsubr ; = b2 - 4ac
; Negative value here produces error
fsqrt ; = square root(b2 - 4ac)
fld b ; Load b
fchs ; Make it negative
fxch ; Exchange

fld st ; Copy square root
fadd st,st(2) ; Plus version = -b + root(b2 - 4ac)
fxch ; Exchange
fsubp st(2),st ; Minus version = -b - root(b2 - 4ac)

fdiv st,st(2) ; Divide plus version
fstp posx ; Store it
fdivr ; Divide minus version
fstp negx ; Store it

call writeint
exit 
main endp 
end main

So I was able to have my program compile, execute and work completely. However, Whenever I run the program, I get this as the result:

+1694175115

Why is the result so large? Also I tried calling writefloat but it says this procedure is not in the Irvine32.inc or Macros.inc Library. Can someone show me why is it not working and what needs to be fixed? Thanks.

2 Answers
Related