firebase.database() is not a function - new Firebase Project

Viewed 11808

Apologies for what will likely be a beginners mistake. I have searched for days to try and find the answer, but am unable to successfully connect to a Firebase Database.

Extracts of all files are below. I have installed node.js, then firebase init, firebase login, and then firebase serve.

I get the same result whether hosting locally, or after deploying to firebase hosting. I have tried the full paths to the firebase js files previously and similarly got the same result.

What do I need to do to be able to prove its connecting to Firebase ok?

Many many thanks!

index.html...

<!DOCTYPE html>

<html lang="en" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<meta charset="utf-8" />

<script src="/__/firebase/4.0.0/firebase-app.js"></script>
<script src="/__/firebase/4.0.0/firebase-auth.js"></script>
<script src="/__/firebase/4.0.0/firebase-database.js"></script>
<script src="/__/firebase/init.js"></script>

<script src="app.js"></script>

<title>Page Title</title>
    I'm the header ...
</head>
<body>
    I'm the body...
    <script> getDatabaseRef() </script>
</body>
</html>

app.js...

function getDatabaseRef(){
   console.log('Script called');

   var firebaseRef = firebase.Database().ref();
   console.log(firebaseRef.ref);
   window.alert(firebaseRef);

   console.log('Script finished');
}

firebase.json....

{
  "database": {
    "rules": "database.rules.json"
  },
  "hosting": {
    "public": ".",
    "rewrites": [
      {
        "source": "**",
        "destination": "/index.html"
      }
    ]
  }
}

package.json

{
  "name": "jobsheetpoc",
  "version": "1.0.0",
  "description": "my JS proof of concept",
  "main": "app.js",
  "dependencies": {
    "firebase": "^4.0.0"
  },
  "devDependencies": {
    "firebase-server": "^0.10.1"
  },
  "scripts": {
    "test": "echo \"Error: no test specified\" && exit 1"
  },
  "author": "Jim",
  "license": "ISC",
  "keywords": [
    "job",
    "sheet",
    "poc"
  ]
}

Output in Browser...

Output in Browser Window

1 Answers
Related