Rcpp::compileAttributes() Error

Viewed 2717

I am trying to compile a small package that I've made. This package uses Rcpp and RcppArmadillo. Everything was working well until I updated my mac to Sierra (version 10.12.5). I have now the following error message when building the package from Rstudio (version 1.0.143):

Error in Rcpp::compileAttributes() : 
Evaluation error: no native symbols were extracted.
Calls: source ... withVisible -> eval -> eval -> <Anonymous> -> .Call
Execution halted

Any idea what this is and how it can be fixed?

Thank you very much!

6 Answers

Try

tools::package_native_routine_registration_skeleton(".", character_only = FALSE)

The unintuitive character_only = FALSE is necessary if you are not calling this for the first time.

I copied this answer from kbenoit at https://github.com/kbenoit/quanteda/issues/846. This worked for me when I had a similar problem.

Try deleting RcppExports.cpp and RcppExports.o and then in build options go-to "more" -> "clean and rebuild" This usually does the trick when I have similar problems

I got mine fixed by recreating the project in RStudio from GitHub in a fresh directory.

I had the same problem; happened as I was working on a markdown file irrelevant to the package, but then all of sudden package would not build with the same error:

    > devtools::session_info()
Session info ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 setting  value                       
 version  R version 3.5.0 (2018-04-23)
 system   x86_64, mingw32             
 ui       RStudio (1.1.453)           
 language (EN)                        
 collate  English_United States.1252  
 tz       America/Los_Angeles         
 date     2018-06-05                  

Packages --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 package    * version    date       source                            
 assertthat   0.2.0      2017-04-11 CRAN (R 3.5.0)                    
 base       * 3.5.0      2018-04-23 local                             
 bindr        0.1.1      2018-03-13 CRAN (R 3.5.0)                    
 bindrcpp     0.2.2      2018-03-29 CRAN (R 3.5.0)                    
 colorspace   1.3-2      2016-12-14 CRAN (R 3.5.0)                    
 compiler     3.5.0      2018-04-23 local                             
 datasets   * 3.5.0      2018-04-23 local                             
 devtools     1.13.5     2018-02-18 CRAN (R 3.5.0)                    
 digest       0.6.15     2018-01-28 CRAN (R 3.5.0)                    
 dplyr        0.7.5      2018-05-19 CRAN (R 3.5.0)                    
 epicR      * 0.16.0     2018-06-06 local                             
 ggplot2      2.2.1.9000 2018-05-28 Github (tidyverse/ggplot2@4299917)
 ggthemes     3.5.0      2018-05-07 CRAN (R 3.5.0)                    
 glue         1.2.0      2017-10-29 CRAN (R 3.5.0)                    
 graphics   * 3.5.0      2018-04-23 local                             
 grDevices  * 3.5.0      2018-04-23 local                             
 grid         3.5.0      2018-04-23 local                             
 gtable       0.2.0      2016-02-26 CRAN (R 3.5.0)                    
 lazyeval     0.2.1      2017-10-29 CRAN (R 3.5.0)                    
 magrittr     1.5        2014-11-22 CRAN (R 3.5.0)                    
 memoise      1.1.0      2017-04-21 CRAN (R 3.5.0)                    
 methods    * 3.5.0      2018-04-23 local                             
 munsell      0.4.3      2016-02-13 CRAN (R 3.5.0)                    
 pillar       1.2.3      2018-05-25 CRAN (R 3.5.0)                    
 pkgconfig    2.0.1      2017-03-21 CRAN (R 3.5.0)                    
 plyr         1.8.4      2016-06-08 CRAN (R 3.5.0)                    
 purrr        0.2.5      2018-05-29 CRAN (R 3.5.0)                    
 R6           2.2.2      2017-06-17 CRAN (R 3.5.0)                    
 Rcpp         0.12.17    2018-05-18 CRAN (R 3.5.0)                    
 rlang        0.2.1      2018-05-30 CRAN (R 3.5.0)                    
 scales       0.5.0      2017-08-24 CRAN (R 3.5.0)                    
 stats      * 3.5.0      2018-04-23 local                             
 tibble       1.4.2      2018-01-22 CRAN (R 3.5.0)                    
 tidyselect   0.2.4      2018-02-26 CRAN (R 3.5.0)                    
 tools        3.5.0      2018-04-23 local                             
 utils      * 3.5.0      2018-04-23 local                             
 withr        2.1.2      2018-03-15 CRAN (R 3.5.0)                    
 yaml         2.1.19     2018-05-01 CRAN (R 3.5.0) 

I don't know if this can help, but I had a similar problem because I named the package something like "xxx_package". I don't remember exactly what happened, I think I found out because when I tried to create a new package with a similar name in Rstudio it threw an error about the name, saying only letters and numbers were allowed. Rcpp::compileAttributes and even Rcpp::Rcpp.package.skeleton had not complained about the name. I tried with tools::package_native_routine_registration_skeleton(".", character_only = FALSE) to no avail.

In any case, after creating a new package named "xxxPackage" all problems were solved.

Related