Wifi-Direct always disconnects after thirty minutes

Viewed 3497

I am creating a WifiP2pGroup with WifiP2pManager.connect(). This works fine but the group is always disbanded after thirty minutes, no matter whether data is being transferred or not. Does anyone know why this happens, or if it can be prevented?

I have tried sending data continuously between the devices and keeping the screens on the entire time with a wake lock but it makes no difference. I have made sure wifi is set not to sleep, and also obtained a wifilock, and turned off battery optimization for the app and for wifi direct, but these don't help either. After thirty minutes (or to be specific, 29m 18s - it's very consistent) I get the CONNECTION_STATE_CHANGE broadcast and the devices are no longer paired.

The devices are a Nexus 7 running Android 7 (LineageOS) and a Samsung Galaxy A5 running Android 6.

Thanks!

Edit: I have tried running with mobile data off and wifi not connected. The app is not being paused or destroyed and no other apps have permission to change the wifi state. In the wifi logs on one of the devices I found this event around the time of the disconnection:

E/DhcpStateMachine: DHCP renew failed on p2p-wlan0-0: Timed out waiting for DHCP Renew to finish
D/WifiP2pService: GroupCreatedState{ what=196613 }
E/WifiP2pService: DHCP failed

On the other device I found this at the beginning of the disconnect process:

552-813/system_process V/WifiHAL: event received NL80211_CMD_DEL_STATION
552-846/system_process D/WifiMonitor: Event [IFNAME=p2p-p2p0-11 AP-STA-DISCONNECTED b6:22:8b:b1:df:0f p2p_dev_addr=f2:62:6f:d1:5f:0c]
552-846/system_process D/WifiMonitor: p2p0 cnt=6442 dispatchEvent: AP-STA-DISCONNECTED b6:22:8b:b1:df:0f p2p_dev_addr=f2:62:6f:d1:5f:0c
552-629/system_process D/WifiP2pService: Client list empty, remove non-persistent p2p group
4 Answers

You should specify that you want to create the group to be persistent, so for example on Linux, you would do something like this:

sudo wpa_cli p2p_group_add persistent
Related