Why is installing packages with conda resulting in internal exception (out of memory / shutdown issue)?

Viewed 10030

Whenever I install a package with conda install <package-name> I get the following message:

extern "Python": function Cryptography_locking_cb() called, but got internal exception (out of memory / shutdown issue). Returning 0.

If I install more than one package (e.g. with conda update --all) then I get multiple messages: apparently the same number as number of packages. I get the messages at the end of installation, and it appears as though everything is installed fine; but I am not sure.

System info:

The current environment is Python 3.6, and I tried to install opencv3 as talked about here: Installing opencv 3.1 with anaconda python3?. Windows 10 64-bit.

Perhaps a related issue:

Perhaps unrelated, but I have another suspicious behaviour. Whenever I try to install a package that is not found in conda repository I get a truncated error message:

Fetching package metadata .............

PackageNotFoundError: Package not found: Conda could not find '

The Questions:

I doubt I am the only one experiencing this. I tried to search for the first message, but found no real answers. I've used Anaconda before, and on other machines, without problems. I've tried to reinstall Anaconda, but the errors persist.

  1. Is this really a problem?
  2. What can I do about this?

Thanks in advance.

2 Answers

This answer is a summary of the comments thread on the question and how I solved the issue.

Suggested solutions:

  • do pip install cryptography>=1.7 --upgrade ref this question.
  • remove and reinstall Anaconda

Working solution:

Upgrading cryptography didn't fix my issue.

After I completetly removed and reinstalled Anaconda, and all environments, the problem was fixed. Why this didn't work the first time I reinstalled Anaconda I don't know, but assumable there must have been some residual files or settings somewhere on my system.

When I first removed the installation, I discovered that indeed the 32-bit version, and not the 64-bit version of Anaconda was installed. However, I don't know if that contributed to the issue because uzelusp had the same issue on a 64-bit installation.

I tried to use "deactivate" in the command line to exit the default environment; then I used "pip install (some package name)", it worked! Therefore, I suppose this issue is about the environment and library. (Hope it may help you~)

Related