Apollo GraphQl react. How to clear query cache for all variable combinations?

Viewed 22464

I am using apollo graphql in my react application. Say I have the following query:

query ListQuery($filter: String!) {
   items(filter: $filter) {
     id
     name
   }
}

This query lets me query a list of items using a filter. Say I used filter string A, and then used filter string B. The cache would now contain two entries: ListQuery(A) and ListQuery(B).

Now let's say I use a mutation to add a new item. How can I remove all the cached queries from the cache? So in this case, I want to remove both ListQuery(A) and ListQuery(B) from the cache.

How can I accomplish this?

4 Answers

In your case, you can use the apollo's method client.resetStore();

It will clear the previous cache and then load the active queries.

Seems like what you need is refetchQueries option/prop to be set to array of query names strings. The documentation states that:

If options.refetchQueries is an array of strings then Apollo Client will look for any queries with the same names as the provided strings and will refetch those queries with their current variables.

So as an example for using graphql HOC you could try to do:

function SomeComponent(props) {

  const performMutation = () => {
    props.doStuff({ refetchQueries: ["ListQuery"] })
      .then(/* ... */)
      .catch(/* ... */)
  }

  return (/* ... */)
}

export default graphql(DO_STUFF, { name: "doStuff" })(SomeComponent)

Or with the Mutation component:

function SomeComponent(props) {
  return (
    <Mutation
      mutation={DO_STUFF}
      refetchQueries={mutationResult => ["ListQuery"]}>
      {(doStuff, { loading, error }) => {
        /* ... */
      }}
    </Mutation>
  );
}

If this is somehow doesn't do what you need, there is also a workaround using update option.

Hope this helps.

Related