I'm building an installed application that will have features requiring the Google Drive REST API using Qt and C++. I understand Qt is now releasing new libraries to support OAuth flows but let's assume I'm a student and learning to use OAuth at this layer is a requirement for this project.
In my application, I have a working OAuth flow for installed applications that ends with an Access Token and Refresh Token being stored using QSettings (I'm open to input on whether this is a disastrously bad idea too). The application requires no authentication/login for its own sake/data, but it does need authentication to Google for calling API's using an Access Token. This application has no associated web backend being hosted; its simple and should be deployable completely locally (I've written and included a simple TCP server that will receive the authorization redirect_uri and will run and close when called from within the application).
As such, I'm curious about the best way to make sure that, when a user opens my application and wants to use the Google Drive features, they are appropriately authenticated on Google's end. Say, if I maintain an access token in the registry, and this access token is granted per-user/per-application basis (right?), then how can I make sure only the user the token belongs to is able to make calls to the API with it?
Here's my understanding and approach; feel free to correct me or educate me if I've got the wrong interpretation.
If an Access Token is found, perform the following:
- Open a browser page to a Google login domain and have the user authenticate there (this could prohibit a user from being able to use a cached login session that would have access to a token they otherwise shouldn't have access to)
- If user has correctly authenticated with a Google account, return control to the application and make a test call to an API using the stored token.
- If the call fails (responds with an
invalid_credentials) I should be able to be sure its because the access token has expired and the application will go through the flow to renew an Access Token from a Refresh Token.
If no Access Token is initially found:
- Start a normal OAuth installed application flow
- Get the tokens and store them so that when the user opens the application next time the former procedure is used
My issue then is the first two steps if the Access Token is found. Nominally this could be done by the typical OAuth flow but it appears that when using a localhost as the redirect uri, Google will always prompt for consent, regardless of settings for prompt and access_type authorization query parameters.
What can be done to accomplish these first two steps in a way that my application can control (i.e. not a solution that relies on a backend server being hosted somewhere)?
If this question is too open-ended for SO requirements I can make some more restrictions/assumptions to limit the problem domain but I'd rather not do that yet in case I unknowingly rope off a good viable solution.
Thanks for reading! Sorry if its a verbose; I wanted to ensure my problem domain was fully fleshed out!