What's the best way to add a specific string to all column names in a dataframe in R?

Viewed 7443

I am trying to train a data that's converted from a document term matrix to a dataframe. There are separate fields for the positive and negative comments, so I wanted to add a string to the column names to serve as a "tag", to differentiate the same word coming from the different fields - for example, the word hello can appear both in the positive and negative comment fields (and thus, represented as a column in my dataframe), so in my model, I want to differentiate these by making the column names positive_hello and negative_hello.

I am looking for a way to rename columns in such a way that a specific string will be appended to all columns in the dataframe. Say, for mtcars, I want to rename all of the columns to have "_sample" at the end, so that the column names would become mpg_sample, cyl_sample, disp_sample and so on, which were originally mpg, cyl, and disp.

I'm considering using sapplyor lapply, but I haven't had any progress on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3 Answers
Related