apache zeppelin: java.lang.NullPointerException

Viewed 6895

When running any kind of command in zeppelin, I'm getting a "java.lang.NullPointerException" error - even simple stuff like sc.appName. Here's the full text:

java.lang.NullPointerException
    at org.apache.zeppelin.spark.Utils.invokeMethod(Utils.java:38)
    at org.apache.zeppelin.spark.Utils.invokeMethod(Utils.java:33)
    at org.apache.zeppelin.spark.SparkInterpreter.createSparkContext_2(SparkInterpreter.java:391)
    at org.apache.zeppelin.spark.SparkInterpreter.createSparkContext(SparkInterpreter.java:380)
    at org.apache.zeppelin.spark.SparkInterpreter.getSparkContext(SparkInterpreter.java:146)
    at org.apache.zeppelin.spark.SparkInterpreter.open(SparkInterpreter.java:828)
    at org.apache.zeppelin.interpreter.LazyOpenInterpreter.open(LazyOpenInterpreter.java:70)
    at org.apache.zeppelin.interpreter.remote.RemoteInterpreterServer$InterpretJob.jobRun(RemoteInterpreterServer.java:483)
    at org.apache.zeppelin.scheduler.Job.run(Job.java:175)
    at org.apache.zeppelin.scheduler.FIFOScheduler$1.run(FIFOScheduler.java:139)
    at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:511)
    at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)
    at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$201(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:180)
    at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:293)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

The error seems to point to something with Spark, but I have the location set correctly in zeppelin-env.sh:

export SPARK_HOME=/usr/local/spark

The only other fields that I've modified are as follows:

export HADOOP_CONF_DIR=/home/cloudera/hadoop/etc/hadoop
export PYSPARK_PYTHON=/usr/bin/python
export JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64/jre/

My hadoop install doesn't have a "conf" folder, but the yarn-site file is in the indicated location. I'm using anonymous login, not sure if that's relevant. I can run the Spark shell successfully from the command line. I really did try to search around since it's such a common error, but nothing seemed to quite fit this situation. I can also provide the zeppelin-env.sh file if needed. Thanks in advance for any assistance!

3 Answers
Related