Is "vagrant up" possible from different local directories with custom URLs?

Viewed 1689

I have two directories under /var/www/html, named vlp1 and vlp2 with Vagrant setup. If I run vagrant up separately in these folders the default local URL is vagrant.local for both. But vagrant.local/ always loads site from vlp1 folder.

As it should be, vagrant global-status shows that I have two virtual machines running under these directories. I require to run both sites side by side and to do this the only option I see is to have separate URLs. I believe there is a way to assign different URLs to different sites but don't have any idea how!

What I need to do to accomplish the above so that my sites run like local.vlp1.com and local.vlp2.com or may be like vagrant.vlp1 and vagrant.vlp2?

According to project instructions I have to keep two sites completely separated in two folders and have to use separate Vagrantfiles.

  • OS: Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit
  • Installed VitualBox version: 5.1
  • Installed Vagrant version: 1:1.9.4

Thank you!

UPDATE Went through the following steps as advised by Henri:

Step 1:

$ vagrant global-status

Output:

id       name    provider   state   directory                           
------------------------------------------------------------------------
eb9b569  default virtualbox running /var/www/html/vlp1                  
190608c  default virtualbox running /var/www/html/vlp2

Step 2: Did a graceful shutdown on vlp2

$ vagrant halt 190608c

Step 3: Output of vagrant global-status now is

id       name    provider   state    directory                           
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
eb9b569  default virtualbox running  /var/www/html/vlp1                  
190608c  default virtualbox poweroff /var/www/html/vlp2 

Step 4:

$ sudo gedit /var/www/html/vlp2/Vagrantfile

if CONF['ip'] == "dhcp"
    config.vm.network :private_network, type: "dhcp", hostsupdater: "skip"
else
    config.vm.network :private_network, ip: "192.168.2.5"
end

Step 5: Re up'd vlp2 machine

$ vagrant up 190608c

Step 6: $ vagrant global-status now shows both machine are back to running state again.

id       name    provider   state   directory                           
------------------------------------------------------------------------
eb9b569  default virtualbox running /var/www/html/vlp1                  
190608c  default virtualbox running /var/www/html/vlp2

Step 7: In /etc/hosts added following entry

192.168.2.5   vagrant.vlp2

Finally I tried vagrant.vlp2/ in browser but ended up with the following message:

This site can’t be reached
http://vagrant.vlp2/ is unreachable.

1 Answers
Related