spark cluster performance decreases by adding more nodes

Viewed 954

I have a large data set of 1B records and want to run analytics using Apache spark because of the scaling it provides, but I am seeing an anti pattern here. The more nodes I add to spark cluster, completion time increases. Data store is Cassandra, and queries are run by Zeppelin. I have tried many different queries but even a simple query of dataframe.count() behaves like this.

Here is the zeppelin notebook, temp table has 18M records

val df = sqlContext
  .read
  .format("org.apache.spark.sql.cassandra")
  .options(Map( "table" -> "temp", "keyspace" -> "mykeyspace"))
  .load().cache()
df.registerTempTable("table")

%sql 
SELECT first(devid),date,count(1) FROM table group by date,rtu order by date

when tested against different no. of spark worker nodes these were the results

+-------------+---------------+
| Spark Nodes |      Time     |
+-------------+---------------+
| 1 node      | 17 min 59 sec |
| 2 nodes     | 12 min 51 sec |
| 3 nodes     | 15 min 49 sec |
| 4 nodes     | 22 min 58 sec |
+-------------+---------------+

Increasing the no. of nodes decreases performance. which should not happen as it defeats the purpose of using Spark.

if you want me to run any query or further info about the setup please ask. Any cues on why this is happening would be very helpful, been stuck on this for two days now. Thank you for your time.

versions

Zeppelin: 0.7.1, Spark: 2.1.0, Cassandra: 2.2.9, Connector: datastax:spark-cassandra-connector:2.0.1-s_2.11

Spark cluster specs

6 vCPUs, 32 GB memory = 1 node

Cassandra + Zeppelin server specs

8 vCPUs, 52 GB memory

1 Answers
Related