Scrape the absolute URL instead of a relative path in python

Viewed 16966

I'm trying to get all the href's from a HTML code and store it in a list for future processing such as this:

Example URL: www.example-page-xl.com

 <body>
    <section>
    <a href="/helloworld/index.php"> Hello World </a>
    </section>
 </body>

I'm using the following code to list the href's:

import bs4 as bs4
import urllib.request

sauce = urllib.request.urlopen('https:www.example-page-xl.com').read()
soup = bs.BeautifulSoup(sauce,'lxml')

section = soup.section

for url in section.find_all('a'):
    print(url.get('href'))

However I would like to store the URL as: www.example-page-xl.com/helloworld/index.php and not just the relative path which is /helloworld/index.php

Appending/joining the URL with the relative path isn't required since the dynamic links may vary when I join the URL and the relative path.

In a nutshell I would like to scrape the absolute URL and not relative paths alone (and without joining)

3 Answers

I see the solution mentioned here to be the most robust.

import urllib.parse

def base_url(url, with_path=False):
    parsed = urllib.parse.urlparse(url)
    path   = '/'.join(parsed.path.split('/')[:-1]) if with_path else ''
    parsed = parsed._replace(path=path)
    parsed = parsed._replace(params='')
    parsed = parsed._replace(query='')
    parsed = parsed._replace(fragment='')
    return parsed.geturl()
Related