I have been assigned to find a bug in the dashboard of our (production) order management app. It shows wrong data. As I don't have that particular data locally, and can't get it soon, I will have to do it in the production app.
I have never worked with or in an app that is running live before and have no idea about best practices, no-gos, security precautions etc.
If someone could provide some clues to where to start reading (Software, Tools, Tutorials, ...) that would help me a lot. For some reason I only find info on how to prepare for and deploy Rails apps. But not about how to actually manage a running app (that has been deployed by someone else).
An example: As I needed to compare the stats with the real data, I wanted to run a console (rails console --sandbox) and have a look around, fire some queries. I tried:
- ssh into to the server which runs the app
- change into the rails app folder (
www/project-name/current) - run
rails console production
But that last command gives me:
The program 'rails' can be found in the following packages:
* ruby-railties-3.2
* ruby-railties-4.0
So I guess I am not supposed to do that. How would I investigate such an error then? Querying the database directly seems dangerous.
Any tips? THX!