Local variable might be referenced before assignment - Python

Viewed 27640

I've been trying to make an encryption and decryption system but I have run into a small error. Here is my code:

    import sys
    import pyperclip


    def copy(data):
        question = input("Copy to clipboard? ")

        if question.lower() == 'yes' or question.lower() == 'y':
            pyperclip.copy(data)
            print("Encrypted message copied to clipboard.")
            rerun()

        elif question.lower() == 'no' or question.lower() == 'n':
            rerun()

        else:
            print("You did not enter a valid input.")
            copy(data)


    def rerun():
        ask = input("\nWould you like to run this program again? ")

        if ask.lower() == "yes" or ask.lower() == "y":
            print(" ")
            run()

        elif ask.lower() == 'no' or ask.lower() == 'n':
            sys.exit("\nThank you!")

        else:
            print("You did not enter a valid input.")
            rerun()


    def encrypt(key, msg):
        encrypted_message = []
        for i, c in enumerate(msg):
            key_c = ord(key[i % len(key)])
            msg_c = ord(c)
            encrypted_message.append(chr((msg_c + key_c) % 127))
        return ''.join(encrypted_message)


    def decrypt(key, encrypted):
        msg = []
        for i, c in enumerate(encrypted):
            key_c = ord(key[i % len(key)])
            enc_c = ord(c)
            msg.append(chr((enc_c - key_c) % 127))
        return ''.join(msg)


    def run():
        function_type = input("Would you like to encrypt or decrypt a message? ")

        if function_type.lower() == "encrypt" or function_type.lower() == "e":
            key = input("\nKey: ")
            msg = input("Message: ")
            data = encrypt(key, msg)
            enc_message = "\nYour encrypted message is: " + data
            print(enc_message)
            copy(data)

        elif function_type.lower() == "decrypt" or function_type.lower() == "d":
            key = input("\nKey: ")

            question = input("Paste encrypted message from clipboard? ")

            if question.lower() == 'yes' or question.lower() == 'y':
                encrypted = pyperclip.paste()
                print("Message: " + encrypted)

            elif question.lower() == 'no' or question.lower() == 'n':
                encrypted = input("Message: ")

            else:
                print("You did not enter a valid input.")
                run()

            decrypted = decrypt(key, encrypted)
            decrypted_message = "\nYour decrypted message is: " + decrypted
            print(decrypted_message)
            copy(decrypted)

        else:
            print("\nYou did not enter a valid input.\n")
            run()

    run()

It says local variable 'encrypted' might be referenced before assignment and highlights

    decrypted = decrypt(key, encrypted)

under the run() function.

Is it because I used the variable 'encrypted' in other functions? If so, how would I fix this and still maintain the functionality of my program?

I am relatively new to python so I would appreciate it if you could explain your answers.

3 Answers
Related