Origin of some of AOP's terminology

Viewed 369

I would think this question have been asked before, but I was not immediately able to find related SO questions, or articles elsewhere for that matter.

It strikes me that certain terms in AOP are rather strange. It seems I'm not the only one - this article, for instance, notes that "unfortunately, AOP terminology is not particularly intuitive". However, I have not found a resource explaining why they are not more "intuitive", if that's possible.

More specifically: I can somewhat understand "aspect" and "join points" - they seem descriptive enough. But "pointcuts" and "advice" seem somewhat odd. How did these terms come about?

I think knowing the etymology of these terms will help in remembering them better, if not allowing for some insight into the thinking of AOP's designers. At least, I hope this will help me from ever blubbering out nonsensical things like "cut points" or "advice points" in meetings...

2 Answers
Related