My .jpg file is larger than .png?

Viewed 5728

I used Microsoft Paint to create a 15248 x 6552 solid color picture. I saved it as both .png and .jpg and was expecting the .jpg to be smaller than .png, but it was not. The .jpg file is 1.49MB, while the .png is 391KB. Shouldnt jpeg being a lossy compression be technically smaller in size?

I read somewhere that .png is better for solid colors etc, so I downloaded a picture form the web (not a solid color) and used paint to save it in both formats. This time the jpeg was smaller than png. Is it solely due to the gradient of colors? if so then why?

Even if the picture is a solid color should jpg encodng be able to compress it even better?

3 Answers

I've found for the same picture that if you save as PNG 1st then JPG the PNG will be smaller and if saved as JPG 1st it will be smaller than the PNG saved afterwards

Related