Parsing xml to and replacing specific tags shell script

Viewed 8999

For the below xml ,I need to replace <studentStatus> for <studentName>CLASSA</studentName> to <studentStatus>failed</studentStatus>.

<studentFile>
    <student>
        <studentName>CLASSA</studentName>
        <studentStatus>Success</studentStatus>
        <studentActions>
            <studentAction>
                <studentType>Juniour</studentType>
                <studentStatus>Completed</studentStatus>
                <studentMsg/>
            </studentAction>
            <studentAction>
                <studentType>HighSchool</studentType>
                <studentStatus>Completed</studentStatus>
                <studentMsg/>
            </studentAction>
        </studentActions>
    </student>
    <student>
        <studentName>CLASSB</studentName>
        <studentStatus>Success</studentStatus>
        <studentActions>
            <studentAction>
                <studentType>Senior</studentType>
                <studentStatus>Completed</studentStatus>
            </studentAction>
            <studentAction>
                <studentType>Middle</studentType>
                <studentStatus>Completed</studentStatus>
            </studentAction>                         
        </studentActions>
    </student>
</studentFile>

What I got so far,

xmllint -xpath "/studentFile/student[studentName='CLASSA']/studentActions/studentAction[studentType="Juniour"]/studentStatus" myxml.xml

now i got the status of the student as Completed , now this value should be changed to Failed . Only for <studentType>Juniour</studentType>. How should I edit the xml inorder to get it as ,

<studentFile>
    <student>
        <studentName>CLASSA</studentName>
        <studentStatus>Success</studentStatus>
        <studentActions>
            <studentAction>
                <studentType>Juniour</studentType>
                <studentStatus>Failed</studentStatus>
                <studentMsg/>
            </studentAction>
            <studentAction>
                <studentType>HighSchool</studentType>
                <studentStatus>Completed</studentStatus>
                <studentMsg/>
            </studentAction>
        </studentActions>
    </student>
    <student>
        <studentName>CLASSB</studentName>
        <studentStatus>Success</studentStatus>
        <studentActions>
            <studentAction>
                <studentType>Senior</studentType>
                <studentStatus>Completed</studentStatus>
            </studentAction>
            <studentAction>
                <studentType>Middle</studentType>
                <studentStatus>Completed</studentStatus>
            </studentAction>                         
        </studentActions>
    </student>
</studentFile>

Can this be done using sed. I know there are tools like xsltproc but not sure if this is installed in all nodes in our cluster .

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

5 Answers

You can try my Xembly command-line tool:

$ xembly --xml file.xml 'XPATH "/studentFile/student[studentName=\'CLASSA\']/studentActions/studentAction[studentType=\'Juniour\']/studentStatus"; SET "failed";'

The full syntax of Xembly is here.

Update your xml file through xmllint with --shell.

$ xmllint --shell pom.xml
$ cd //*[local-name()='project']/*[local-name()='parent']/*[local-name()='version']
$ set 1.0.0
$ save
$ quit

You can combile bash with:

xml=$(xmllint --shell pom.xml <<EOF
cd //*[local-name()='project']/*[local-name()='parent']/*[local-name()='version']
set 1.0.0
save -
EOF
)
Related