Plotting matplotlib figure inside QWidget using Qt Designer form and PyQt5

Viewed 41553

I don't understand the best way to link a matplotlib figure to a form created from Qt Designer. I have a form I created in QtDesigner and then compiled to python through pyuic5. My main program is:

import app_framework as af
import matplotlib
from PyQt5 import QtWidgets
import sys

matplotlib.use('Qt5Agg')

app = QtWidgets.QApplication(sys.argv)
form = af.MyApp()
form.show()
app.exec_()

where myApp calls the app_framework.py form created from Qt Designer then converted by pyuic5 (design.py):

from PyQt5.QtWidgets import QApplication, QMainWindow
import design

class MyApp(QMainWindow, design.Ui_mainWindow):
   def __init(self):
       super(self.__class__, self).__init__()
       <button initializations>
       <function definitions for button callbacks>

I'm confused as to where in this framework I can link a matplotlib figure to a premade empty widget in QtDesigner, or something of that sort, so that I can plot new data in the GUI window as things happen (text entered, button push, etc.)

I've found some threads here on SO and matplotlib's site, but I'm not sure I understand the correct process for creating the space for this widget in the Qt Designer form then linking a plot, and/or creating a widget post hoc and then linking and plotting.

What I've done so far is create an empty QWidget inside Qt Creator and then after pyuic5 compile, I alter the design.py file as follows:

from PyQt5 import QtCore, QtGui, QtWidgets

# **** ADDED THIS
from matplotlib.figure import Figure
from matplotlib.backends.backend_qt5agg import FigureCanvasQTAgg as Canvas
# **** 

class Ui_mainWindow(object):
    def setupUi(self, mainWindow):
        <mainWindow setup stuff>
        self.centralwidget = QtWidgets.QWidget(mainWindow)

        # ****ALTERED THIS FROM self.plotWidget = QtWidgets.QWidget(self.centralWidget)
        self.plotWidget = MplWidget(self.centralWidget)
        # ***** 

        self.plotWidget.setGeometry(QtCore.QRect(20, 250, 821, 591))
        self.plotWidget.setObjectName("plotWidget")

  # **** ADDED THIS 
class MplCanvas(Canvas):
    def __init__(self):
        self.fig = Figure()
        self.ax = self.fig.add_subplot(111)
        Canvas.__init__(self, self.fig)
        Canvas.setSizePolicy(self, QtWidgets.QSizePolicy.Expanding, QtWidgets.QSizePolicy.Expanding)
        Canvas.updateGeometry(self)


class MplWidget(QtWidgets.QWidget):
    def __init__(self, parent=None):
        QtWidgets.QWidget.__init__(self, parent)
        self.canvas = MplCanvas()
 # ***********

and then app_framework.py as:

from PyQt5.QtWidgets import QApplication, QMainWindow
import design

class MyApp(QMainWindow, design.Ui_mainWindow):
   def __init(self):
       super(self.__class__, self).__init__()
       self.setupUi(self)
       self.pushButton_plotData.clicked.connect(self.plot_data)

    def plot_data(self):
        x=range(0, 10)
        y=range(0, 20, 2)
        self.plotWidget.canvas.ax.plot(x, y)
        self.plotWidget.canvas.draw()

I thought this would work, but when I click the plot push button, nothing happens. It doesn't lock up, it just doesn't plot anything. I'm guessing I'm missing something fundamental for plotting a matplotlib figure and/or canvas in this empty widget.

1 Answers
Related