I have a client API, that is a confidential client. When I authenticate with an open id provider, I am redirected to my callback with an authorization code, which is immediately exchanged to receive a refresh token, an access token, and an ID token.
Now, I create a session cookie that has a uuid for the authenticated user. When the user makes a request, do I...
- Use my access token to call the providers userinfo endpoint to get the user info.
- Read the validated ID token to get the users info.
When it comes to using the refresh token I see 2 options:
- After reading a valid ID token or access token during a request, use the refresh token to get a new access or ID token to store at a new uuid, which is returned to the user with an updated cookie. While requiring the user to sign in more, this means the users session becomes invalid after inactivity on their part equaling the lifetime of the access or ID token. This is potentially more secure.
- Use the ID token or access token until valid and then refresh to get a new one. If the refresh never expires, the user will never have to sign in again even if inactive for a long period of time ( unless cookie expiration is low ) Potentially less secure.
Thoughts?
