Can BigQuery be fast enough for real-time onsite request

Viewed 2447

I'm looking into the possibility to use BigQuery and its API to do on-site queries depending on content that is viewed by our visitors. Therefore the response time is crucial. I have loaded a very simple structured dataset of 10k rows (4columns) and run a very simple query and that takes between 1 and 2 seconds. My questions is hopefully pretty simple to answer, will I ever be able to get a <1sec response time with the BQ API by optimising the data in someway or not?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Regards, Arjen

3 Answers

Although the others have already stated that the answer is "no" it could be interesting for you to have a look at the BigQuery Storage API. It lets you run simple SELECT-WHERE-queries on regular tables directly against cloud storage (which is where BigQuery's data is physically stored). It should be faster than the regular BigQuery API but will probably not respond within 1s reliably (haven't tried it myself yet though, but will update my answer once have).

Related