YUY2 vs YUV 422

Viewed 6953

I am having trouble understanding the exact difference between the two. From research, more discuss the two as being different but a few seem to group them under the "4 2 2" sampling scheme.


YUV 422 (I and J versions): "has one luma plane Y and 2 chroma planes U, V. However, in I422, chroma planes (blue and red projections) are sub-sampled only in the horizontal dimension, still by a factor of 2. Thus, there is the same amount of lines in chroma planes as in the luma plane.

For a 2x2 group of pixels, there are 4 Y samples and 2 U and 2 V samples each. The depth is 4*8+2*8+2*8 = 64 bits per 4 pixels, so 16 bits per pixel."


YUY2: "Known as YUY2, YUYV, V422 or YUNV. In YUY2, the chroma samples are sub-sampled by a factor of 2. In YUY2, the succession for 2 pixels, starts by one luma for the first pixel, then U, then another luma for the second pixel and then V again."


I ask this because I am doing image processing tasks in Matlab and have been converting with YUY2 in mind. I thought it was the same as YUV 422 (the indicated original colour space of my images), but now I am wondering if my conversions are not as accurate as can be.

1 Answers
Related