Convert GeoDataFrame polygons to kml file

Viewed 9876

I have a geopandas GeoDataFrame with various polygons and colors that I'm using to plot meteorological data (another question I asked here):

        color   geometry
0   #fbfdd1 (POLYGON ((-97.12191717810094 32.569, -97.1194...
1   #f3fabf (POLYGON ((-97.12442748846019 32.569, -97.1219...
2   #ebf7b1 (POLYGON ((-97.12944810917861 32.569, -97.1269...
3   #daf0b2 (POLYGON ((-97.18969555780023 32.569, -97.1879...
4   #cbeab3 (POLYGON ((-97.18969555780023 32.5710632999095...
5   #afdfb6 (POLYGON ((-97.18467493708175 32.569, -97.1821...
6   #92d4b9 (POLYGON ((-97.17463369564484 32.5730575804109...
7   #74c9bc (POLYGON ((-97.17714400600408 32.5764063816167...
8   #5bbfc0 (POLYGON ((-97.17714400600408 32.5790959050363...
9   #40b5c3 (POLYGON ((-97.17463369564484 32.5814268890055...
10  #31a6c2 (POLYGON ((-97.17714400600408 32.5852716913413...
11  #2397c0 (POLYGON ((-97.17714400600408 32.5878055733984...
12  #1e83b9 (POLYGON ((-97.17714400600408 32.5895482376014...
13  #206eaf (POLYGON ((-97.17714400600408 32.5911487379959...
14  #2259a5 (POLYGON ((-97.17714400600408 32.5927834911588...
15  #23479d POLYGON ((-97.17463369564484 32.59421434681196...
16  #243594 POLYGON ((-97.17463369564484 32.5962866795434,...
17  #1a2b7d POLYGON ((-97.1721233852856 32.59996829071199,...

I'd like to convert this to a kml / kmz file, but I have never worked with that file type before, so I'm not sure how to proceed. I've tried using this script, but it requires some height field that I do not have. Is there a good / easy way to do this within python? I'd like to avoid using online converter tools, if possible.

2 Answers

fiona library wrapped by geopandas supports unofficialy a KML driver that you have to enable by hand.

import geopandas as gpd
import fiona

fiona.supported_drivers['KML'] = 'rw'

gdf = gpd.read_file(gpd.datasets.get_path('naturalearth_lowres'))
gdf.to_file('test.kml', driver='KML')

Note that it can also read KML files, but does not work really well on 'nested' kml files, see this gist for more details

Related