Keeping a SQL Server Database Project and the Actual Database (in SSMS) in sync during development

Viewed 3093

I am trying to figure out what the normal workflow should be between a SQL Server Database Project and the actual database in SQL Server (SSMS) once they are in sync. The main reason I am using one of these projects is to keep everything in Source Control.

Here are the steps I took to set things up:

  1. Create the actual database and entire schema in SQL Server Management Studio.
  2. Create a new SQL Server Database Project in VS2015.
  3. Right click the project and import the actual database.

Now that the project is in sync with the actual database, how should I go about making changes going forward? Do I make them in the database project and then republish it or do I make them in the schema? Basically what I am saying is that I am trying to avoid making schema changes during development in both places.

1 Answers
Related