How to I create an umbraco widget which uses external data source?

Viewed 1977

I am creating an Umbraco site and I want to allow site admins to be able to place a "widget" (not sure if this is the right term) on a page that will render a table with data from an http service.

A made up example service

Let's suppose I have an external data service with an http api that exposes a database of movie titles. Let's pretend it has two endpoints

1) List Genres - Returns JSON list of genres

http://api.movies.com/genres 

2) Search - Returns JSON list of titles matching search parameters

http://api.movies.com/search?genre=comedy

My desired user experience in Umbraco admin

I want to provide a way for the umbraco user to place a "movie genre widget" on a page in the Umbraco admin. After placing the widget on a page, they would be able to specify the genre for this widget by selecting a genre from a dropdown. This dropdown would be populated by endpoint #1.

When the page is rendered to end users, it would make a call to endpoint #2 to populate a list of movies matching the genre that the umbraco user specified for this widget.


I am brand new to Umbraco (as of today). I have spent 3 hours reading through the docs and looking at starter kits and I am not sure how to accomplish this.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Should this be a Plugin? A Template? A Property Editor?

Any help is appreciated.

2 Answers
Related