Button may produce null pointer exception (Android Studio)

Viewed 7154

new to Android Studio, and I thought I was doing okay, but ran into an error last night that I just can't seem to fix despite all my best googling efforts. A button on one of my activities 'may produce java.lang.NullPointerException', except it keeps failing every time it's pushed. It may just be something as simple as ordering a line of code in the wrong place etc, but I'm so new to Android studio I don't really know where I'm going wrong.

   public class searchPage extends AppCompatActivity {

    private GoogleApiClient client;


    @Override
    protected void onCreate(Bundle savedInstanceState) {
    super.onCreate(savedInstanceState);
    setContentView(R.layout.activity_search_page);
    Toolbar toolbar = (Toolbar) findViewById(R.id.toolbar);
    setSupportActionBar(toolbar);

    Button goBackButton = (Button) findViewById(R.id.goBackButton);

    goBackButton.setOnClickListener(new View.OnClickListener() {
        @Override

        public void onClick(View v) {

            startActivity(new Intent(searchPage.this, MainActivity.class));
        }
     });

Here's the XML

 <Button
    android:layout_width="wrap_content"
    android:layout_height="wrap_content"
    android:text="New Button"
    android:id="@+id/goBackButton"
    android:layout_marginTop="88dp"
    android:layout_below="@+id/spinner4"
    android:layout_centerHorizontal="true"
    />

And the Manifest file

 <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
 <manifest xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android"
 package="com.example.onein.mobilefinalapp">

 <application
    android:allowBackup="true"
    android:icon="@mipmap/ic_launcher"
    android:label="@string/app_name"
    android:supportsRtl="true"
    android:theme="@style/AppTheme">
    <activity
        android:name=".MainActivity"
        android:label="@string/app_name"
        android:theme="@style/AppTheme.NoActionBar">
        <intent-filter>
            <action android:name="android.intent.action.MAIN" />

            <category android:name="android.intent.category.LAUNCHER" />
        </intent-filter>
    </activity>
    <activity
        android:name=".searchPage"
        android:label="@string/title_activity_search_page"
        android:theme="@style/AppTheme.NoActionBar" />

    <activity
        android:name=".MoviePage"
        android:label="@string/title_activity_movie_page"
        android:theme="@style/AppTheme.NoActionBar"></activity>

    <meta-data
        android:name="com.google.android.gms.version"
        android:value="@integer/google_play_services_version" />
 </application>

 </manifest>

Here's the activity_search_page.xml

<android.support.design.widget.AppBarLayout
    android:layout_width="match_parent"
    android:layout_height="wrap_content"
    android:theme="@style/AppTheme.AppBarOverlay">

    <android.support.v7.widget.Toolbar
        android:id="@+id/toolbar"
        android:layout_width="match_parent"
        android:layout_height="?attr/actionBarSize"
        android:background="?attr/colorPrimary"
        app:popupTheme="@style/AppTheme.PopupOverlay" />

  </android.support.design.widget.AppBarLayout>

 <include layout="@layout/content_search_page" />

 <android.support.design.widget.FloatingActionButton
    android:id="@+id/fab"
    android:layout_width="wrap_content"
    android:layout_height="wrap_content"
    android:layout_gravity="bottom|end"
    android:layout_margin="@dimen/fab_margin"
    android:src="@android:drawable/ic_dialog_email" />

</android.support.design.widget.CoordinatorLayout>

If you need any other information, please let me know.

Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks.

EDIT - removed duplicate button, and adding in activity_search_page.xml

3 Answers
Related